Saturday, August 16, 2014

Taking oatmeal to its limits

I never really baked before. I never really liked using the oven. What more, it left me a scar on my left had since 10. Couple of days ago, my flatmate, taught me how to use the oven in our flat. She uses it often. After a few tries on my other mains, I thought I'd try baking my usual oatmeal. When I first tried on baked oatmeal, I was totally hitched to the texture it creates in each mouthful. 

That was when I thought, I should try all possible ways with my childhood favourite: oatmeal. 
Baked, steamed, microwaved, stovetop, you name it, I tried it all today. 

As a child, my mother would cook it on stove top and serve it to us before she zoomed us off to school. (I can still remember how Mom was well-known among my friends as the furious, yet safe, driver. She could even multi-task while driving!) Plain ones are usually served with honey. Sometimes, my Mom would cook it in Milo, or Horlicks or sweetened Spirulina beverage. However it was made, I loved it! 

Even up to my teenage years, oatmeal was a staple at home. My grandpa would even flood his in black coffee. Like me, Grandma loved hers cooked in hot milk, and we both prefer chewy jumbo rolled oats. Whilst staying in boarding schools, oatmeal saved me from cafeteria food. 

Do I have an "obsession" for oatmeal? If so, is it because it's deemed "healthy"
No. Definitely not, neither because it's deemed so. 
I like it just the way how most Asians can't live without rice. For me, it happens to be just oatmeal
I think of it as a base (think 'pizza base'), and just dress it up according to my tastebuds- sweet, spicy, savoury, sour, tangy, creamy, crunchy, chewy, soggy, it's all up whatever the occasion is. Definitely not bitter!

I still enjoy other grains and cereals, e.g. bulgur, freekeh, rice, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, spelt, pasta. But oatmeal, just happens to be what I'd rather eat, if I could only pick one cereal type to survive. Next after oatmeal, would have to be pearled spelt and barley.
I'm not "obsessed" with it like some "health freak". As much as I enjoy healthy living, I always believe it is best to strike a balance;  it is better to derive our nutritional needs from various sources.

I am grateful to have found many other oatmeal fans across the world too, thanks to the advent of social networking today. They inspire me to try out oatmeal in all its potential varieties.

I will and shall remain a loyal fan of oatmeal, no matter how others may think of my level of sanity. 

To further defend myself, I have yet to try oatmeal facial mask or using oatmeal as a remedy. I know I never will. I can't imagine it having it on my face or hair, or anywhere but my gut, and it's purpose remains the same- for survival and pleasure. (Plus, my flatmate enjoyed tasting them!)

Hence, I conclude, I am not as crazily-obsessed as one might think. 

Juliet


Baked


My first time on Baking Oatmeal- Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal with Greek Yogurt and Honey

Savoury Baked Oatmeal
Baked: Cheeky Cheesy Carrot with Ginger and Paprika


Steamed

Steamed 5 Spice Oatmeal in Seafood Veg Stir Fry

Deserved a try on chopsticks

The rest are just a few from my past photos: Microwaved and Stove top 


Microwaved






Stove top






No comments:

Post a Comment